Saturday, May 12, 2007

Farmers Market Trip

Today finally got my butt out to farmers market on this sunny hot day!
Originally was wishing to get some white peaches. If I remembered correctly, I could get white peaches early in May! but got disappointed today, cuz NO WHITE PEACHES today!!

but I was quite surprised to see CHERRY in the market today! Last year around this time, only saw probably 1 or 2 cherry booth, but today, WOW many people are selling big red CHERRY!!

Cherry is still expensive, much more expensive than it used to be years ago!! All of the seller PRE-pack the cherry in a bucket, and claimed that they were Over 1 lb?? and they are selling for $5/Large size bucket!! So it's like $5 PER LB! DAMN!

Talked to a cherry saler, asked him if their cherry was organic, since there was NO sign saying "we are ORGANIC certified!!" He replied (Obviously he was LYING!), "well, I didnt wanna pay for it!" HA, I know that farmers market has a rule that, if the booth is selling ORGANIC product, they can and should post it up on their booth, so people can recognize it. However, if they are Not Organic, they CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT claim that their product is Organic!

But I tasted a couple of their cherry, it was sweet and crispy! So I got a large bucket.

Then, I continued my shopping. I saw another booth selling cherry, orginally NO customers was standing in front of the booth, all of a sudden, the seller announced that they were selling 1 bag for $5 ONLY (claimed for 2 lbs/bag, and orignal price was $8/bag), But only for 5 MINUTES!
I was standing there and trying to pick and good bag, minutes went by, he still was yelling out loud that his cherry was only $5/bag for 5 min!!! LOL
So I picked 1 bag, and gave him 10 bucks, he asked, "do you wanna get 2 bags for 10 bucks??"
I was like hmmm, ok... so I quickly picked 2 bags and got my butt out of there!

I then went to the chicken/egg booth. Yeh they claimed their chicken and eggs were all organic??
I saw Duck eggs and Black chicken eggs, hmmm Rarely got to see these kind of eggs!
So I decided to get 12 duck eggs and 12 black chicken eggs. They said that black chicken eggs were much more nutrious than regular chicken eggs! well , chinese believe that Black chicken is much better than white chicken...
BUT duck egg is $5/dozen, and black chicken eggs is $4/dozen!!! WOW EXPENSIVE!!

yeh since I havent bought organic whole chicken for a long while, so I went and picked a 2.5lb orgnaic chicken. Originally it was like $8.8 dollar, he said well he's gonna charge for $8 only...

sooo... the total price was like 17 bucks... I asked, "um... 16 bucks?" I knew I could asked for 15 bucks total, but I was NICE enough only ask for 16 bucks LOL!
he wasnt very happy about the 1 buck... then his partner said something in foreign language, and then said "fine..." So I got my 24 eggs and 1 chicken for 16 bucks!!


I know... WHO would be so stupid to pay this much for eggs and chicken?!
but I guess, I insist on the Quality of the food that I'm gonna put into my mouth.. It gotta has certain level of Quality!! YES , I'm asking for QUALITY!

I know... generally people go to COSTCO for a huge pack of chicken for only a few bucks, and Super Size pack of eggs for a few bucks... and that can feed the whole family for a while...
and 16 bucks can buy MANY packs of chicken PLUS Eggs at costco, but they were NOT ORGANIC, they were NOT free-ranged!! They were cheap-fed-caged PLUS ANTIBIOTICS & HORMONE injection!!! Damn... quite Scary & Disgusting HUH!!

No wonder, little girls eat those kind of ewww hormone cheap chicken and get their MC and boobs at 8 or 9 y.o!!! Shouldnt they be little girls that still have their innocence at that young age?


So ... today I spent $31 on these foods...

Why farmers market, you might ask... Yeh cuz I get to see all the IN-Season fresh fruits and veggi. Yeh they dont sell things that are NOT In-season... So the Genetics produce get out of here!!

And thats why I love California... in May and June, you can see fresh peach, strawberry, and cherry. Usually strawberry started first, then cherry, then peach... and peach can go all the way up to Aug/Sep!! I love white peaches esp. but they are not in season now...
Cherry and strawberry Are NOT supposed to have Long season, they used to be very very short, maybe 1 or 2 months, BUT Now you can see strawberry 12 mo!! I dont buy them cuz they trying to mess up the NATURE!! The more you buy them, the more they trying to do the genetics stuff and grow and sell MORE. See, nowaydays, strawberry DONT taste like strawberry, they dont have the SWEET SMELL & SWEET taste. They only have the HUGE LOOK!

Cherry do not have long shelf life plus the very short season, but last year I still saw cherry in WINTER season!!! hmmm... that really made me wonder!!

The lesson for the day is, DO NOT and SHOULD NOT buy fruits/veggi that were not IN-SEASON!! They are BAD for us and the environment!!

***ONLY the fresh and In-season ones are GOOD for our bodies!

2 comments:

Eternal Dreamer - Allen Wang said...

hmmm you are from taiwan aren't ya

BRUINMD said...

Hmmm... Yes I am. Very Proud of being a Taiwanese!

How did you know?

Thanks for visiting my blog!