Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Today is Triangular Bamboo Leaves Sticky Rice Holiday!!

Ok the name sounds odd, but I dont know how to translate the chinese name into English..

First, today is 5/15 Chinese lunar calendar. so Every year the date is different on western calendar.

2nd, Taiwanese and Chinese all over the world would celebrate this holiday by eating this triangular shape sticky rice, which is wraped by bamboo leaves.

years ago (2001) I wanted to try to make this kind of delicacy. so I went and shopped for all the ingredients : sticky rice, penuts, dry shitake mushroom (which has a very strong aroma), dry shallot, dry squid, pork belly, salty raw duck egg yolk, dry scallop, garlic, soy sauce, rice wine, mirin, olive oil, sesame oil, white pepper

1. wash and let the sticky rice sits in water for a few hours.
2. wash and let raw penuts sits in water for at least 24 hrs. and cook it in steamer till it;s almost cooked
3. slowly braised pork belly (chop it into chunks) with soy sauce, mirin, rice wine, brown sugar, garlic (OR skip this process, just add the pork into #5, and mix well)

4. put mushroom into a cup, add water, let stand till they'r all POOF UP!
5. EVOO and sesame oil in hot pan, slice up the mushroom, stir fried the mushroom with dry shallot, garlic, squid, and/or pork
6. Mix the sticky rice into the mixture, add soy sauce, rice wine, mirin, white pepper

7. clean the bamboo leaves with brushes and warm water...
8. mix the duck yolk with rice wine... sit for a while..
9. also let the dry scallop sits in water for while...

9. Fold 2 leaves at its 1/3 area, make a traingular shape. Put a scoop of rice mixture into the leaves, add dry scallop, duck yolk, and cooked porkbelly, then adds some more rice to cover up

10. covers up the rice with the leaves and make it into traingular shape. Tight it up

11. Either prepare a big pot of water or steam in rice cooker for HOURS. (yeh I dont remember exactly how many hours!) Probably a couple of hours!!
but it will take longer if steam the sticky rice, cuz it's not easy to cook the sticky rice, it needs more time than regular white rice.


*** This was how my grandma made it when I was a little kid. I remember I sat next to her in grandparents house, and I remember all the nice ingreidents (duck yolk, dry squid, dry mushroom, dry scallop, dry penuts). I dont remember all the details, but I still remember how GOOD it tasted!! After that year, I asked her to make it again, she always said , nooo she's too OLD to do it!! she could not do it no more!!
but I heard that she acutally made it AGAIN yeasterday After all these years!! OH I was sooooo JEALOUS!! I wish I could be there and eat this delicacy!! cuz in my memory, NO ONE could make it better than my grandma could!! Ha, well maybe mine could beat hers!!

*After I did all the hard work, my mom took some to NYC to share them with my sister and brother and sister's bf. and Of Course, they LOVED it!!

No comments: