Thursday, June 21, 2007

Shin-Sen-Gumi HAKATA Ramen

Today went to this Ramen shop for lunch...

Lots of people inside and outside waiting for tables. I was like hmmm, it must be good?

Sat at the counter, ordered their lunch special set A (Hakata ramen with gyoza) for $7.25!
Originally, I only wanted ordered Ramen ($6.95)... but the stupid waitress asked if I wanted lunch special... (from A to D or E?)

Yes since I'm a Talented chef, so I have HIGH expectation everytime I visit a resturant that I've never been to.

The reason that I went was, last night looking through some blogger's exp on ramen in the US and in japan, so I was quite hungry... It's very BAD to read about those articles late at night!!

so I decided to give it a try today.

The special thing about this store was, they asked you to fill out how you'd like your noodle to be done (hard, normal, soft), how OILY you want your soup to be (very oily, normal, light), and how RICH you want your soupd to be (rich, normal, light).

Another special thing about this restaurant is, if you finish the ramen, you can order another order of RAMEN only, for 95 cents!! This, I've never heard of before!

So I picked normal noodle, normal oil, and RICH soup base.

The two MAIN characters of jap. ramen are, 1. the SOUP BASE. 2. the Ramen!!
and of course, there are toppings, like cha shu pork, green onion, pickled ginger, etc...

So SOUP and Ramen are very important and play the KEY factors, and pretty much set the scale in customers' mind! And whether or not I'm gonna come back again!!

Didnt wait for long, since the only thing the chef needed to do was to cook the ramen!

When it came, I looked through the ingredients inside this bowl, 3 very small pieces of cha shu (ha no wonder, they want people to order extra cha shu for $2!!) I ate the pork first.

The soup was VERY VERY SALTY!! Yeh it's rich, but way too salty!

I can tell that the soup is Ton ko tsu (pork bone flavor), shoyu (soy sauce), and some sweet flavor thing... so It tasted kinda ODD!!

Then, it comes the ramen... I was disappointed, cuz the ramen was tooo THIN, and not al dente!! (not Q!!)

cuz it's very thin ramen, so it only needs like 2 or 3 min of cooking, if goes more than that, it become tooo soft!!

Also, the ramen has a weird taste...

I like to add white pepper and sometimes some jap chili pepper to my soup..

but I was disappointed at the soup that it didnt have strong Garlic flavor!

I quickly finish the ramen, and then asked for another order of ramen.

They gave me a small plate of green onion and a bottle of shoyu, just in case the soup was thinned out after adding the ramen.

Actually, the ramen tasted a bit better the 2nd round, and cuz ramen came with a bit of water, so the soup was thinned out a bit, BUT it tasted better and more eatable!

In my mind, the best soup base should be very rich pork flavored PLUS a lot of Garlic!!




In fact, 山頭火 ramen shop (another jap ramen from japan), even though this shop is not very famoust here, but the soup is rich and garlicky!! I like to order Big size, since I love noodle and also the small size only like 1 buck different!! so I might as well order large size!
(well large size is NOT that big... just in case you are wondering)

but the soup is also VERY salty, PLUS VERY OILY!! So for health conscious, I scooped out the excess oil...

So the Q remained......... Will I go back again?!

2 comments:

Eternal Dreamer - Allen Wang said...

salty and oily, hmmmm i love

BRUINMD said...

LOL you love unhealthy diet!!

I like to eat a bit salty stuff, but when I cook, I dont add much salt, cuz not everyone likes salty foods!

but if I already felt it's way toooo salty, this food definitely added too much salt!

I think, as a chef, one has to know how to Season the food well, and to take people's tastes into consideration. if the chef likes salty stuff, so he adds lots of salt in each dish he makes, it shows that he doesnt know HOW to season the food! he should go back to school and relearn it!

Also it's very important to respect people's desire on their foods. and it's important that Everyone likes your dishes, not just 1 or 2!!