Saturday, September 1, 2007

Finally... My 1st Beef PHO (Simple Version)

After tasting a few pho restaurant, I finally decided to make my own version of Pho!!

Soup base---
1.Beef tendon
2. Beef nan
3. ginger
4. Star anise
5. White pepper corn
6. S. corn
7. Cinnamon
8. Anise seed
9. Rice wine
10. Mirin
11. Brown sugar
12. Sea salt

13. Thai basil
14. Thai bird chili
15. Lime
16. Onion
17. Fish sauce
18. pho noodle

* Boil a pot of water (I used 2 pots) and put the beef and tendon into the pot. Add all the spices into the pot too (#1-11)
Boil for at least 4 or 5 hrs or Longer!

*When beef and tendon are soft and tender, cook the pho noodle, place the pho noodle into the bowl, put 13-18 into the bowl, mix well...

*Add the broth to the bowl... I like to put it into the microwave for a couple of min, just to let the pho noodle absorb more of the broth flavor!

** Originally I wanted to cook the broth with beef bone, short ribs, beef chuck, beef tripe, beef brisket etc. , and when the broth is done, just add slices of good quality beef before serving!

BUT, I only had beef nan and tendon in my freezer, but the flavor is still nice and thick!

BTW, I love tendon, I can eat lots of it and not eating meat! I eat it not cuz it has lots of collagen (Yes, great for our skin!), but cuz I just simply love it!

**Try it, I Promise you, it's the BEST pho that I've ever had!!

No comments: